The goals before us are exponential, not incremental.
A successful brand strategy will require exponential, not incremental, change.
We’ve built the 2016-2019 Marketing Plan on a clear path to success: collaboration.
The Contour Gauge and Fidelity as a Metaphor
Imagine how many touchpoints we have between our audiences and the University: the exchange of every individual that has a stake in the University with every brochure, web visit, social post, lecture, grant application, exam, event, video, news story, campus visit, basketball game, sweatshirt purchase …. and so on.
Like a contour gauge that records the cross-sectional shape of a surface, we will create a clear and compelling experience if every one of those touchpoints is perfectly congruent.
We must present the UA to the world in a manner that “matches” both who we are and that aligns with our stakeholders’ actual experience.
The Road Ahead
|WE WILL:||SO THAT:|
|ELEVATE BRAND EXPRESSION, UNIVERSITY-WIDE||PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS WILL WANT TO ENROLL|
|INCREASE THE SOPHISTICATION OF OUR CURRENT INVESTMENTS||DONORS WILL WANT TO GIVE, FUNDING SOURCES WILL WANT TO INVEST|
|BRING THE CAMPUS ALONG||ALUMNI WILL WANT TO ENGAGE AND GIVE|
1. Greater Brand Alignment
2. Evolve Mindset
3. Transform Digital
4. New Creative
Strategy 1: Greater Brand Alignment
Differentiated and Aligned Sub-brands
Colleges, as well as recruitment and development marketing operations, will build creative and messaging platforms that drive brand expressions in their marketing, differentiating them from competitors.
- Increase market competitiveness
- Strengthen the UA Brand through “matching touchpoints” (pins)
- Maximize impact of multi-million dollar marketing investment
Strategy 2: Evolve Mindset
Elevate Brand Expression
We will evolve our marketing mindset across campus from mechanical “brand compliance” to emotive “brand expression.” This enables us all to understand not just what to do, but how and why.
- More sophisticated brand expression beyond visual compliance, moving toward a more compelling brand story
- Strengthen the UA Brand through “matching touch points” (pins)
- Maximize impact of multi-million dollar marketing investments
Engage cross-functional project teams composed of the most talented marketers across campus to develop new tools that move brand alignment from compliant to expressive and emotive.
Strategy 3: Transform Digital
Implement a new digital strategy that drives our audience to what we want them to do rather than what we want them to know. Design for specific user behavior goals.
- Maximize the effectiveness of our most important medium to drive the consumer behaviors that support Never Settle.
- Strengthen UA Brand through “matching touchpoints” (pins)
- Use analytics as leading edge to transform business-intelligence thinking
We will broaden the scope of digital strategy and analytics to the full customer journey from appeal (an ad, direct mail, etc.) through to conversion (the desired behavior).
Make Brand-Adoption Easy
Create university-wide development tools that make it very easy to adopt UA branding online.
The tools take two forms: UA developer tools, and “UA Sites”, which enables non-developers to launch a simple branded site.
UA Digital: A Model
For more than a year, a group of approximately 30 Drupal developers have met every week to build transformative tools for developers and non-developers to use to adopt the brand quickly online. This model has inspired efforts described in Strategies 2 and 3.
Strategy 4: New Creative
We will continue to evolve expression of the UA brand to be even more arresting, compelling, and emotive. Telling our story in another way makes it stronger, more resonant, and gives the audience another perspective, adding fidelity to the UA brand.
The UA Creative group is working to refine our current brand platform, including the supporting Key Messages and Values.
What we want our audience to believe about the University of Arizona.
- We see opportunities where others see obstacles.
- We embrace grand challenges with bold curiosity.
- We forge creative pathways to discoveries that would otherwise be impossible.
- We are driven by our history to advance the work of those who came before us and to improve the world for those who will follow.
Describe “who we are” and resonate with our audiences.
Forward-thinking and willing to take risks
Purposeful and driven to achieve our goals
Collaborative and unassuming
Rooted in an exploratory spirit
Unwavering, always focused on impact
Optimistic and visionary, motivating others
Be bright, light, hopeful and positive
Be unexpected, arresting, and playful
Be clever, but not glib or gimmicky; simple, but not simplistic
Use fewer words